How do I learn Chinese?
Learning Chinese from signs and books can be a challenge for anyone. With MDBG Chinese Reader providing immediate translation and pronunciation services, reading the same material electronically can be an exciting new experience.
News and Information
- MDBG - vocabulary web feed
- Baidu News
- BBC News - China
- Google News - China, Taiwan, Hong Kong
- Reuters - China
- Yahoo - China, Taiwan, Hong Kong
The most popular text of all time, the Holy Bible, is available in Chinese.
A Chinese Text Sampler
A resource for "advanced beginner level onward." This selection represents a wide range of periods and genres.
- Modern Chinese literature
- Classical Chinese literature - Ballad of Mulan; Dream of the Red Chamber
- Chinese film scripts and song lyrics - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Raise the Red Lantern
- Chinese fables, parables and children's stories - 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac
- Chinese history, ethics and politics - Analects of Confucius; Deng Xiaoping on the Hong Kong question
- Chinese language in daily life - idioms, common proverbs, frequently used characters, restaurant menu, street signs
The Art of War
Written 515-512 B.C., this was praised for the first and most successful works of military strategy and tactics. Sun Tzu's concepts have stood the test of time. Today, Art of War has been even been applied to organizational behavior and business strategies.
Sun Tzu on The Art of War, Lionel Giles (1910)
In Traditional Chinese with English translations
300 Tang Poems
A compilation of poems during the Tang period (618-907 A.D.), often described as the golden age of Chinese poetry. Over the centuries, these poems have been used to teach elementary students to read, write and develop character.
- 300 Tang Poems, Sun Zhu (1763)
Disclaimer: Links to third-party websites are provided for your convenience. MDBG does not endorse the views or opinions expressed by these sites.